Many people believe that chiropractic treatments are only for adults, but in reality chiropractic is just as important for infants and children.
Chiropractic care focuses on the relationship between the spine and the nervous system, and the nervous system controls everything in the body, so correct alignment is crucial for proper development. When the spine and other joints are out of proper alignment it can have a detrimental effect on your child’s growth and development. Regular chiropractic appointments can help your children with:
- Ear infections
- Acid reflux/spitting up
- Difficulty feeding
- Misshapen cranium (head)
- Trouble sleeping
- Bed wetting
- Growing pains
- Sports injuries/concussions
What can cause joint misalignment in children? Being born (the birthing process can be difficult or traumatic), learning to walk, falls, and sports. Chiropractors are trained to provide treatment for developing spines. When the spine and all the other joints are aligned, children are able to grow properly and avoid complications that may otherwise have occurred if the misalignments were left untreated.
- Scoliosis is a common condition that appears in childhood and can negatively affect proper growth and development. Scoliosis can occur in boys or girls, but girls are more often affected. In addition, scoliosis is more likely to be more severe in girls. Most cases of scoliosis are referred to as idiopathic scoliosis, meaning there is not a known reason for the abnormal curvatures. There is some evidence to suggest hormones play a part in the development but posture, family history, and muscle health can also play a role. During growth spurts the scoliosis may worsen by 1 degree per month, but this rate can increase just before the start of puberty.
- Ear pain in children is frequently treated in chiropractic offices. Many times the ear pain is a result of misaligned bones in the upper cervical spine, most notably C1. Ear pain can also be caused by improper motion of the temporal bone which is the cranial bone that the ear is attached to.
- Constipation, diarrhea, and bed wetting can result from misalignments in the lumbar spine, sacrum, and pelvis causing nerve interference to the bladder and intestines.
- Acid reflux can be caused by misalignments in the thoracic spine causing nerve interference between the brain and the stomach and esophagus.
- Feeding problems in infants can have many causes including:
- Misalignments in the upper cervical region making it difficult for the baby to turn his or her head
- Oral muscle dysfunction making it difficult to latch and suck
- Cranial misalignments forming a high, narrow palate
Dr Torres has training in pediatric and cranial adjustments from the Sacral Occipital Research Society International (SORSI) and the Sacral Occipital Technique Organization- USA (SOTO-USA).
The human cranium is composed to 22 bones- 8 cranial bones and 14 facial bones. It used to be believed that the cranial bones were fused and didn’t move; however, recent experiments show that the cranial bones do not fuse. There is motion at the cranial sutures just like any of the other joints in the body. Skull health is directly related to brain health. The brain reaches 90% of its adult size by 1 year of age. By the time the child is 6 years old the brain has reached 95% of its adult size and is fully grown by age 7. If the brain’s development is altered due to cranial bone distortion an array of problems can develop such has: vision, speech, and hearing problems, behavioral disorders, learning disabilities, mobility problems. Proper motion of the cranial bones is vital to the normal development of the brain.
Cranial bone adjustments are done by hand using very light pressure on the skull or inside the mouth. Flavored gloves can be used with infants and young children during intra-oral adjustments.
Starting your children on chiropractic care at a young age sets them up for a better quality of life. Chiropractic, a natural approach to healthcare, can help keep your children off of medication that come with unpleasant side effects. Spinal misalignments found earlier in life are easier to treat. Children respond quickly to chiropractic care and adjustments last longer. The body is constantly changing and undergoing stress, especially during the developmental years, which is why chiropractic care is so important early in life.
If you have questions about how our team at One Goal Wellness can help you, please schedule a consultation today.